Earlston: Man who attacked Borders pensioner gets unpaid work

A 22-YEAR-OLD man who burst into a pensioner’s home and along with his brother attacked the 67-year-old has avoided a custodial sentence at Selkirk Sheriff Court.

Jared Taylor pleaded guilty to repeatedly punching the man to his body in his Earlston home on November 16, 2019.

He carried out he attack with his brother who has now deceased.

Taylor, from Earlston, also pleaded guilty to behaving in a threatening or abusive manner towards neighbours by waving a knife at them and failing to comply with a court undertaking in April and May of last year.

READ MORE: Man’s body discovered in the Borders, according to police

Defence lawyer Mat Patrick said that since the offences were committed Taylor had worked hard at turning things around and tackling mental health problems.

He said: “The guy who committed these offences is not the same person sitting here today.”

Taylor was ordered to carry out 200 hours unpaid work.

He was also fined £400 on each of the three charges but the £1,200 total was discounted to £800 due to the guilty plea.

A £40 Victim Surcharge was also added.

Border Telegraph | News